The diagnosis of a serious illness such as breast cancer can generate an endless array of emotions such as worry, fear, anger or sadness. Here are two easy ways to facilitate healing by reducing stress.
Cardiac coherenceThe practice of cardiac coherence has become increasingly popular over the past 10 years or so. By controlling the heart rate through breathing exercises, the patient helps the brain recognize the message to reduce the production of cortisol, also known as the stress hormone. Anyone can use cardiac coherence exercises; all you need is a quiet place with no distractions.
- Sit comfortably in front of a timer, clock or watch that counts seconds. Alternatively, you can count the seconds silently, in your head.
- Breathe in through your nose for five seconds while relaxing and widening your abdomen.
- Exhale through your mouth for five seconds while drawing in your stomach and emptying your lungs.
- Repeat this cycle continuously for three to five minutes.
- Repeat three times a day.
Color therapyThe therapeutic benefits of art for people with mental or physical illness are well proven. This is exactly why anti-stress coloring is gaining popularity around the world.
Coloring designs, such as pre-printed mandalas, are proven to be a relaxing way to reduce stress and increase self-esteem. Artistic coloring books and mandala coloring books can be purchased at bookstores, department stores, or companies specializing in art supplies. Why not give it a try?