After the whistle: Rocklin Beaudrie returns to court after open heart surgery

Before the school year, Rocklin “Rock” Beaudrie was diagnosed with Ebstein anomaly, a rare heart defect that is present at the time of birth but is not always detected. On October 1, 2020, Beaudrie underwent open heart surgery, a day her family said she wasn’t expecting.

Rocklins’ mother Keari Beaudrie said the Mayo Clinic helped ease their nerves.

“On the day of the surgery they actually took us into the preoperative room and the anesthesiologist explained everything to Rocklin, explained what they were going to do, literally everything step by step and in words we could all understand. “said Keari. . “They even brought the masks they were going to put on his face and everything”

After the operation, Rock remained in the hospital for four days before beginning his recovery at home.

“It was slow and long, which I expected, but it didn’t hurt as much as I thought it would and it was pretty good,” said Rocklin.

“Just make sure he didn’t get hit too hard. He was home for two and a half weeks, I mean, and then he said no, I have to get out of here, I can’t anymore. stay home, ”Keari said.

During his four-week checkup, the doctor gave Rocklin the green light to resume basketball.

“I didn’t think I would be able to go after that but when he said it was a sigh of relief that I could go back to the field and everything and play whatever I want to play,” said Rocklin . .

Rocklin plays basketball for the Westhope-Newburg Junior High team and even the JV team. His coaches said the passion he brings to the pitch is incredible after almost taking it away.

“He brings a lot of energy to everyone, it’s a good time to be around. All his teammates love him, he’s just a good boy, ”said Hunter Braaten, assistant basketball coach.

After getting the doctors’ approval, Rocklin said he was a little nervous for the first day of practice.

“Because I’m not at all fit and nervous, I was going to breathe out with a snap of my finger and come out right away,” Rocklin said.

This was not the case however, Rocklin made his return to court on December 10 against Glenburn.

“It was really fun knowing that I could play and I could play and everything was back to normal,” said Rocklin.

However, for her mother, she said she was excited but also nervous for her first game.

“Like that first initial nudge he got where he was on the floor, I was like Oh my God and he immediately got up. So, I mean after that first initial scare he went back to life. a normal teenager, ”Keari said.

Keari said seeing Rocklin happy and on the pitch again makes all of the October 1 worries worth it.

“I get goosebumps every time I see him hit a punch because I think it wouldn’t have been possible without him getting caught, without all the support and everything he would have. may not have been possible for him to be on that pitch, ”Keari said.

The Beaudrie family said they would be eternally grateful if their condition was detected early enough to be repaired and to stress the importance of having annual physical exams.